Breed Specific Legislation or BSL is essentially a blanket term that is used to ban certain types of dogs as a way to reduce the number of dog attacks on humans and other species.
This legislation has made it so that Pitbulls are banned in many states in the United States and other countries around the world.
In this article, we are going to go over where Pitbulls are banned both in America and the rest of the world.
So, without further ado, let us dive straight in!
The United States Of America And Pitbulls
The United States and Canada are the only countries that allow Pitbulls and other similar dogs to be imported.
That being said, this breed of dog and others similar to it is banned in some states and no other which can make it confusing to understand where you are and are not allowed one of these amazing and loving family dogs in the USA.
Below is a list of states that have a ban on this breed.
- Iowa – If you are a lover of this breed then Iowa is one of the worst states you can pick to live in. They have over ninety-one cities that have banned or restrictions against Pitbulls. There are even seventy-two cities in Iowa that out rite have banned the breed entirely. But there are other cities that only have an issue with the breed when you have more than one.
- Ohio – This state has over eighty municipalities that have restrictions and bans against this breed which they have named ‘vicious’ as a whole. Because of this Ohio is not a good place for you to own a Pitbull.
- Missouri – There are about eighty-six municipalities that have regulations or bans against Pitbulls. One city named Florissant is extremely strict and does not allow you to own, keep, transport, or sell Pitbulls.
- Colorado – This state restricts your ability to possess, keep, harbor, exercise control over, sell, or transport Pitbulls in any capacity. They treat any restricted or banned dogs this way including American Bulldogs, Dogo Argentinos, Canary Dogs, Cane Corso, and any other dog that is similar to Pitbulls and their reputation in any way.
- Kansas – This State has breed bands and legislation in about ninety of its cities. Of these ninety cities about seventy-seven of them have a full ban on Pitbulls. This means you are not able to harbor, own, or keep this breed of dog in any capacity. They also restrict other breeds of dogs like Staffordshire terriers, American Staffordshire terriers, and any other canines that have a resemblance to any of the three breeds mentioned.
- Wisconsin – Many cities of Wisconsin have banned attack dogs and other breeds that are considered to be aggressive. This sadly includes Pitbulls. There are about sixty cities that have banned or created strict legislation surrounding Pitbulls. But, there are some cities in Wisconsin that have limited rules surrounding this breed. SO, make sure to do your research and find a city in Wisconsin that has a more friendly outlook toward this breed of dog.
- Mississippi – There are about forty-six municipalities in Mississippi that have bans or regulations in place against Pitbulls. This may not be the best state to settle in if you are a lover of these breeds or others like Rottweilers or Shar-peis as they are also considered to be aggressive and dangerous dogs.
- Michigan – The vast majority of cities in Michigan have bans or restrictions in place that prohibit the ownership of Pitbulls. But not all of them. This means that if you do your research, you can find a place in Michigan that will accept you and your Pitbulls.
- Arkansas – There are about thirty cities in Arkansas that have complete bans on Pitbulls and don’t allow this breed into the state at all let alone be owned by any of the people living there. There are several breeds similar to Pitbulls that are also heavily banned including the American Mastiff, Staffordshire Terrier, and several others.
- Kentucky – This state is renowned for banning Pitbulls and other large breeds of dogs that it has considered to be dangerous in many cities. This includes Great Danes, Akitas, Huskies, Rottweilers, Chow Chows, German Shepherds, and several others.
There may be restrictions in other states surrounding Pitbulls so make sure to do your research.
Most states will have some kind of restriction against this breed, but there will be different rules from city to city.
Now that we have taken a look at what the rules are like in America surrounding this breed let us take a look at a few countries around the world that ban Pitbulls.
Countries Around The World That Restrict Pitbulls
In this section, we are going to take a look at a few of the countries that have bans on the Pitbull breed. So, without further ado, let us dive straight in.
The United Kingdom
The UK has banned four breeds of dogs including Pitbulls as a way to try and get rid of the abhorrent sport of dog fighting.
While the authorities can take your dog away from you if you have a Pitbull there is a loophole in the UK.
If you have proof that your dog is safe despite being one of the banned breeds you can get a certificate of exemption which means that you can keep your animal as long as you pay additional insurance to cover the risk.
In addition to that, you will need to be over the age of sixteen to own one and your animal MUST wear a muzzle when you are in public.
Australia has not banned Pitbulls, but there are regulations in place that will grant you authorization to own one of these animals.
But there are certain criteria that you will need to meet. Pitbulls are also banned from exportation.
All of this was put in place to limit the risk of attacks occurring as a result of this renowned breed of dog.
The majority of countries have some kind of restrictions in place that restrict or ban the Pitbull breed.
Because of this, we were unable to cover every single country that has a ban on this breed. However, we hope that you have enjoyed learning everything we had to share.
Make sure to do your research so that you and Your Pitbull friend will be able to live a happy and free life together. Goodbye for now!